Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Quote Of The Moment

While playing around with my sidebars, I added a little widget where I can place some of my favorite quotes. I thought it would be neat to also wax poetic about the quote whenever I updated it. I've already updated it once, so we'll just start from here. Here's today's quote:


"Well, you sure killed the hell outta that fella today."
- William Munny, "Unforgiven"


Although many regard the "Hell of a thing, killin' a man..." line from William Munny to be the better, more famous quote, and in truth it kinda is. But there's something about the quote I chose that really stands out.

We have a quiet, somber scene between two men; One a seasoned killer in William Munny, the other a self proclaimed one in the Schofield Kid. Over the course of the conversation, the Schofield Kid finally admits to having never killed anyone that he claimed he did. Of course, everyone (including the audience) knew this early on in the movie, and the Kid (and the audience) discovers that the real, actual act of killing a person is not as glamorous as told in stories (or in movies), but a disgusting, gut-wrenching thing to do.

William's "killed the hell outta that fella" line just suddenly comes out of left field during the middle of the Schofield Kid's monologue, it make's Munny's line so outragously funny and also provides a break of tension and depression to the Kid's admission of the reality to the act of murder. A very well placed line, and a great set up for another great line.

Until then, keep it casual!

No comments:

Post a Comment