Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Asleep At The Wheel Or.....

I was driving to work this morning and I was waiting at the traffic light. The light turned green and I began to continue on my way when I heard a short, abrupt beep of a car horn towards my left, coming from the left turn lane. The normal thing I would think of when hearing those short beeps is that a driver in front of the person doing the honking has been distracted to not notice the traffic light turn green. It's either a person on a cell phone, doing their makeup, eating, whatever.

As I continued on my way, I looked at the side mirror, being the curious "Looky Lou" to see what this distracted person was doing. This "distracted" person had her head back in her chair, her eyes closed, and her mouth wide open. I literally laughed aloud to think this driver who was so tired, she actually fell asleep while waiting at the light! But then a dreadful thought entered my mind....

Instead of being asleep at the wheel, could she have actually died while waiting at the light?!? Yeah, it's a morbid thought, but as I continued looking through the mirror, I noticed the car with the "sleeping" driver was not moving, and the blaring of more car horns were simply not waking this driver from her slumber.

I was tempted to actually turn around to see if this person had actually expired, but I had to get to work, and just dismissed the thought that she passed on, and optimistically thought that she was just knocked out from a wild and crazy night before. But now that I'm here at work, I'm thinking I should have turned around. What a way to go, waiting at a traffic light...

No comments:

Post a Comment