Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Back In Tyria!

Well, I'm back to playing Guild Wars. Unlike other MMOs I've played, Guild Wars is a game I'm always eager to get back into when I haven't been gaming for a while. There's something about the artwork, music, and gameplay that's so unique and refreshing, that it never feels like "work" or a "chore" when playing it.

When it comes to the current crop of MMORPGs out there, I honestly believe GW has the best artwork and graphics going. It's neither "toony" nor "realistic", but "artistic". Even after five years online, I'm still sucked in by its beauty. From the deserts, jungles, urban sprawls, mountain ranges, blasted landscapes, deep undergound mines, and more, it really is concept art come to form.

Jeremy Soule is one kick-ass game composer. It's amazing how much work that guy has produced over the years. I first noticed this guy's music back from Total Annihiliation in the 90s, and I have been a follower ever since. In GW you're not only exposed to the standard, "stylized" western themes, but asian and middle-eastern themes as well. It's just so fucking good, that it's worthy to be purchased and listened to outside of the game (via his DirectSong site, BTW).

One thing I like about ArenaNet is the way they approach gameplay. They like thinking outside the convential norms of MMORPG gameplay. Skills? Not your standard MMORPG skill tree heircharchy for GW, that's for sure! There's even a whole meta following just on skill usage! Pets? OK, I consider the heroes in GW as pets, and ArenaNet put a new style to playing them. Grinding? When I play GW, I never consider the game a grind. It plays so well and fun, I really don't burn out as soon as other MMOs I've played.

OK, alright, you may be saying that I'm just gushing about this game. Well, shit, I am. After five years, it's still a great game! This is coming from a player who's never had a set of Obsidian Armor, LOL!

Now that Guild Wars 2 is coming soon, how do I feel about the sequel? I don't know. I love the continued use of concept art come to "life", not so sure about the shared universe (I kinda liked the instanced environements), and I still don't know what the gameplay is like (I'll have to find out more from the YouTube vids I see out there). But I place my trust with ArenaNet in coming up with a worthy sequel, and I look forward to entering and playing in the next era of Tyria.

Keep it casual!

No comments:

Post a Comment