Monday, July 12, 2010

Oooh, Shinies!

I was at a Big Lots this past weekend, paying for some backup batteries for my camera, when the lady at the register starts slamming a roll of pennies onto the edge of the counter (I never understood the slamming technique of opening a roll of coins. Isn't the roll just made of paper?). She hands me my change, and along with the dime and nickel was some shiny new pennies. I didn't take notice of them until I got home to unload my change into my coin shoebox, but the pennies are different!


New Penny!

I'm not into numismatics (an uncle tried to get me into it once, but comics stuck more), so I was totally unaware they had redeisned the penny. Apparently, there were four special pennies minted last year to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth, and the penny I have in my possession began regular minting this year. I guess the old Lincoln Memorial penny has joined the "Wheatstalks" as a retired one-center. Nice knowing ye, Lincoln Memorial!

1 comment:

  1. When I was 14 I got my first job at McDonald's. It was the busiest McDonald's in the area, so we had to deal with the cash drawer quickly. They showed us the break method because it allowed you to break the paper sheath in half, then fold the middle out and press in on both ends with your thumbs and empty the roll very quickly.

    I'm not sure everybody does it for that reason because I've only seen a merry few who could do it well, but that's why we did it and hopefully that helps ;)

    ReplyDelete