Tuesday, April 6, 2010

NECA, I Love You and I Hate You



I was at WonderCon this weekend, and while browsing through the various vendors, I noticed Street Fighter IV figures for sale. I remembered seeing a few of these at Toys R Us in the past, but never gave them more than a passing glance. As I looked at these figures in detail, I was bitten by the interest bug. I passed on the figs at WonderCon, knowing that I could probably find them at TRU for much cheaper.

After the Saturday at WonderCon, I went to several TRUs to look for these figures. Apparently, I had passed on the SFIV figs for too long, since TRU is already selling the alternate costumed figures, and the original costumed figures have mostly been sold for a while now. I was able to find an Akuma however, and picked him up (expect to see a review of him on my YouTube channel sometime this week!).

For whatever reason, I didn't notice that these Street Fighter IV figures are being produced by NECA (I really should have noticed). As soon as I found out, I let out a cheer and groan at the same time.

I Love You: NECA has always produced amazingly detailed figures. Detail on a figure has never been the main selling point for me in buying an action figure, but I have to admit it really does add that certain "pop" to a figure. NECA are really good at capturing the likeness of the characters they build the figure around, whether it be from a movie, video game, or other media. And it's not just the likeness, but it's in the "little" details on the figures that NECA adds that other companies would easily pass on sculpting or painting. NECA, I love you for that.

I Hate You: Yeah, I know that getting all those detailed bits on a figure while selling them at a similar pricepoint to figures from the big guys is tough, but could you at least finish a line of figures, NECA? NECA has been known to produce a wave or two of a figure line, and then just stop. SFIV seems to be no exception. While doing some research on when a Sagat would be coming, I found out that beyond the alternate costumed figures, NECA has nothing planned for SFIV. Well, there goes my chances of snagging a Sagat figure. NECA, I hate you for that.

At least there's another good thing going at the moment for you and me, NECA: Gears of War. I've bitten by that figure line too, and they are selling well enough for NECA to announce production of at least a sixth wave by the end of this year. NECA, I love you for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment