Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back To Joes?

Since coming back to action figure collecting, I've been having a fun time collecting superhero figures. But there's another genre of figures I'm beginning to have an interest in: G.I. Joe, specifically the Rise Of Cobra series. If I start collecting these figures, this will be my FOURTH foray into Joes. Yeah, I've got quite a history with these guys:

Adventure Team: I was born just several years after the first release of G.I. Joe, so I missed out on the initial military themes of the 12 inch figures (yes, G.I. Joes were originally that big), but I was just the right age when the line moved away from the militaristic and moved towards the "adventure" theme. It was the time of life-like hair ("peach fuzz") and the kung-fu grip. My favorite figure at the time was Atomic Man, the half-man, half-robotic figure that was a blatant cash-in on the the Six Million Dollar Man craze at the time. Ahhh, fun days of my youth....

Classic Collection: I completely bypassed the first release of the 3.75" scale Joes of the eighties (my interest in action figures had waned at that time). But during the mid to later ninties, Hasbro reintroduced G.I. Joes in 12 inch form with the Classic Collection. Being a single person with a disposable income and the means to purchase figures and accessories in entire waves, I grabbed these figures with a nostalgic iron grip. This phase of Joe history only lasted several years, but I still have moving boxes full of these guys in storage.

Sigma 6: Considered by some Joe collectors as the red-headed stepchild of the G.I. Joe line (along with the similar sized Super Joes of the late 70s), I gravitated towards these figures during its later run. What caught my interest in these figures was their outstanding articulation and poseability. It also made me become familiar with the Joe characters of the eighties. Many collectors did not like the anime-ish slant towards the figures, but I thought they were fine. The Sigma 6 line unfortunately did not last long, I think it was because Hasbro wanted the focus of the Joe line shifted towards the 3.75" scale figures' 25th anniversary. I really like Sigma 6, and I hope Hasbro eventually returns to this set in the future.

Rise Of Cobra (ROC): Based on last year's live action movie, I really did not know anything about this line. It was not until I started posting my "Casual Peek Into" videos on YouTube that I took notice of these figures on other member's YouTube channels. I have to admit, these figures look rather cool. If I'm going to start collecting these guys, this will be my first journey into collecting the 3.75" scale Joes.

I guess the only question in my mind right now, is if I can fit the ROC figures into my current action figure hobby. The ROC line will be transitioning into another phase ("Pursuit Of Cobra") sometime this year, so I may miss out on the current figures if I don't start now. But, I'm doing quite a bit of catching up on the superhero figures at the moment, and adding a ROC collection to the lineup will include more time and money into the hobby, which I'm lacking in both right now. What to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment